Saturday, May 01, 2010

Discovering One's Self the Tai Chi Way

This is the un-edited version of my article that was published as part of the 2010 Tai Chi Retreat Souvenier. This also kind of got me back into groove as far as writing is concerned.


(* Lei, 
In nature there is always a beginning and an ending, birth and death
and the cycle goes on. Death ushering in a new birth- a larva, turning
into a Pupa into a Butterfly. This day today not only signifies the
end of a year but also a impending beginning of a new one. A new year
with the biggest event for our academy - Meeting the Grandmaster the
culmination of the years of dedication, sacrifice and an unwavering
resolve of our Sifu to take our academy to every city in the country
to add the continuity to the Yang Family's  vision of inclusive and
wholesome life style to every individual and show this amazing path
that Tai Chi is. I needn't add more because words are not the thing.
Let me share or partake my journey and I hope I would get to know all
your stories when I meet you face to face at the retreat. Everybody
has seen something that enabled every individual to transform their
lives completely. This amazing and marvelous thing called the human
body and how much of it I grasp or perceive now and how my
understanding has become deeper and deeper and continue to go deeper
and deeper. Not in terms of the those ridiculously complicated and fat
Biology text books in our schools with latin names (I wonder why
describe a living entity in a language that is dead) or the beefed up
or anorexic zero sized models in our media. Not accumulating in words
and knowledge. I am talking about the understanding that we get
without words, an understanding that we have when we learn with all
heart, gut and everything in us behind it. When we learn when our mind
does not think, is alert, aware and sensitive in every practice from
opening to the closing stance when the division between mind and body
ceases and is one.
My initiation into Tai Chi was really out of restlessness. I had a
back ground in Karate and with the absence of any credible practice
for 6 years I felt guilty within me for having ashamed Bruce Lee and
not smashing every curious punk on the street who had the temerity of
crossing my path and messing with me. For looking at the finger
pointing to moon and missing this heavenly splendor*. For not
upholding the highest ideals of Budo**. All the sacrifices of Li Mubai
and Shu Lian gone in vain***. By Jove I can laugh now :)
So started my Tai Chi, I wondered then was I taught correctly? Why is
there no strength in the punches you throw? Why are the movements so
lazy? What is Qi? Yin Yang? Should I learn Aikido? Look for Karate
Sensei?  However the practices moved on and Cecily (my instructor)
told me to slow down.
I did some background research. I checked Youtube videos and got to
see the grace and flexibility with which Tai Chi is practised and read
articles on the rationale behind the practice. It is believed that if
the body is relaxed and the practices is slow then the nerves get
perceptive and sensitive that contributes to speed when the actual
movement takes place in the heat of a conflict. This sensitivity and
awareness of every nerve impulse is what is continuosly sharpened
until the practitioner becomes aware of the energy or the Qi
This lit up a 11 Kilo Volt of Curiosity and I continually looking the
sensation of Qi in my practice. Practised I did very regularly.
However all these words created was a mental image of Qi. How could I
have known what Qi is when I have never felt it for myself? It
disappointed me, needless to say I did not find Qi in my practice.
However it did one thing my practice became a lot more regular and I
liked it. I paid attention to my practice. I started becoming
sensitive about my practice. Thats it. I became hooked. I met Sifu for
the first time and there it was years of practice and dedication, you
just know that its there you cannot put words to it. I started paying
more attention to what I learnt about my footwork, my weight
transition, balance and my waist- basically the very foundation,
basics the seemingly boring basics but there it was the essence of it.
Sifu's visit would keep shattering all the opinions and views I had
about any form and new set of opinions would take their place that
were again shattered in the next visit. This was an amazing experience
- the awareness that we are opinionated, prejudiced and the very
opinions and prejudices blocks learning- the perception of the new.
Sifu's visit continue to busts Myths and new ones take their place
albeit unfortunately.
 Its been 3 years of Tai Chi and now with the responsibility of
instructing fresh recruits. I hope I am doing a good job I am not
sure. But then again instructing busts Myths too. I look forward to
teaching because for me it is really learning. I learn with the
student something new always. Alas there is so little time in our
lives and so many habits, opinions, prejudices, bigotry in our heads
that need to be busted before we become one with the moment, neither
past, future or present but the NOW. Well learning never stops does
it? Tai Chi is one thing life is quite another :)
It will be my first meeting with the Grand Master and I am sure all
the grandiose pride that I have about my Tai Chi will be busted and
blasted big time into a zillion smithereens and this time both father
and son would get to do it. By Jove its going to be Tremendous. And I
will get to meet you all.
Looking back Tai Chi is not about sending a naughty curious looking
bad guy through 11 feet of atmosphere to crash on a hard side walk, or
not about exploding a million Agent Smith**** with a FaJing. Tai Chi is
about discovering one's self. What is it? What is it really?
Discovering, Questioning and Enquiring.
Sifu thanks
HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE AND ALL
Enjoy With You Friends and Loved Ones
Remember The Next Year its gonna be great so don't bother
Get Your Restaurant Tables reserved and may you not have to wait for
long to be served
and
World Peace
Generous References
* Enter the Dragon
** C'mon you should know that Samurai's and whole of Japan lives and
dies by the Bushido Code :O
*** Crouching Tiger and Hidden Tiger
     Li Mubai - The Wudan Master the master of the Green Destiny
     Shu Lian - His unrequited love :( sniff sniff
**** Matrix of course
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU 

No comments: